Dead Again is the seventh album by Type O Negative, released on March 13, 2007. It is the last Type O Negative album to be released before the band's frontman and singer Peter Steele died of a heart failure on April 14, 2010 when he was 48.
The working title for this album was The Profit of Doom, same as the title of the third track.
Although it was released on March 13, 2007 in the USA and the majority of the world, Germany would not see its released until March 16 and other parts of Europe will not see its release until March 19.
The album cover shows the Russian mystic Grigori Rasputin. The lettering on the cover is in faux-Cyrillic font.
Dead Again contains ten tracks and it is the longest Type O Negative album, lasting 77 minutes and 28 seconds. The average duration of a track on this album is 7 minutes and 45 seconds. Two singles were released from the album — "The Profit of Doom" and "September Sun".
The album has lyrics about drug use, death, lost love, heartbreak, and self-loathing. There are occasional times on this album where Peter's voice sounds like young Glenn Danzig. The album contains the musical elements of all of the previous Type O Negative albums molded together, as well as sounds resembling Carnivore (Pete's previous band), Black Sabbath, Bauhaus, and The Beatles. The dominant genres for this album are gothic metal and doom metal, and it has lesser amount of thrash metal, crossover, punk, progressive metal, and psychedelic metal. The elements on this album (both lyrically and musically) are described as dirgy, gloomy, sad, depressing, uplifting and energetic.
Dead Again is the fan's best Type O Negative album. The album reached #27 on the US Billboard 200 chart, which is the highest peak of any Type O album.
- "Dead Again" – 4:14
- "Tripping a Blind Man" – 7:04
- "The Profit of Doom" – 10:46
- "September Sun" – 9:47
- "Halloween in Heaven" – 4:49
- "These Three Things" – 14:20
- "She Burned Me Down" – 7:53
- "Some Stupid Tomorrow" – 4:20
- "An Ode to Locksmiths" – 5:15
- "Hail and Farewell to Britain" – 8:55
- Best Buy exclusive bonus disc
The bonus tracks were taken from the Symphony for the Devil live DVD.
- "Everything Dies"/"My Girlfriend's Girlfriend"
- "Are You Afraid"/"Gravitational Constant"
- "Christian Woman" (labeled as "Christian Women" on the case, contains the "Black Sabbath" intro)
- "Love You to Death"
- "Black No.1 (Little Miss Scare-All)"
- Special edition bonus DVD
- "Anesthesia (live At Wacken Open Air 2007)"
- "Christian Woman (live At Wacken Open Air 2007)"
- "Love You to Death (live At Wacken Open Air 2007)"
- "Kill You Tonight (live At Wacken Open Air 2007)"
- "The Profit of Doom (music video)"
- "September Sun (music video)"
- Greg Prato of AllMusic (3.5/5) – "With Dead Again, Type O Negative delivers another album of dark tales and even darker riffs, and will reassure morose metalheads that they can still count on Steele to spread the misery."
- Draven99 of Blogcritics – "Type O Negative is a true original. They pull from a variety of influences and mold into something that is wholly their own."
- Jon Eardley of Last Rites – "A top-notch production, first-class songwriting, and competent musicianship all play an integral part in making this one of 2007’s early shining moments."
- Jeff Maki of Live-Metal.net (7.5/10) – "Welcome back Type O Negative—it's been a long time coming. Dead Again prompts the most black hair dye no.1 and vampire wannabes since their early ‘90s albums."
- Thomas of metal.de (8/10) – "Dead Again presents itself at least as diverse as its predecessor and combines the quintessence of almost 20 years of Type O Negative."
- Jeff Brinn of Schwegweb.com – "Dead Again proves that there are still a few acts out there that keep it real and stay very true to the roots of what put them on the map as a true metal band in the damn first place."
- Band members
- Peter Steele – lead vocals, bass
- Kenny Hickey – guitar, backing vocals, co-lead vocals on "The Profits of Doom", "September Sun", "Halloween in Heaven", "These Three Things", and "An Ode to Locksmiths"
- Josh Silver – keyboards, piano synths, effects, backing vocals
- Johnny Kelly – drums, percussion
- Additional personnel
- The Bensonhoist Lesbian Choir – backing vocals
- Tara Vanflower – backing vocals on "Halloween in Heaven"
- Paul Bento – electronics and tambura on "The Profit of Doom"