October Rust is the fourth album by Type O Negative, released on August 20, 1996. This is the first album with Johnny Kelly credited as the band's drummer who took over the duty left by the departed member Sal Abruscato.
October Rust is the most favorited TON album. The album is certified gold by the RIAA.
Title and cover art Edit
The title of the album October Rust infers that in the fall, leaves change to rusty colors. The album was released in August, not October, so the fans can help them prepare for autumn by listening to this music well before the leaves start changing colors. The cover art appears to show plant stems with thorns.
Album contents Edit
October Rust has the most ballads and least doomy of any Type O album. It is melodic and has sludgy guitars, piano, synthesizers, and programmed drums. "Bad Ground" is a 38 second "joke intro" comprising only of low-level buzzing meant to sound as if the listener's speakers are incorrectly plugged in. The second and fifteenth tracks are spoken word intro and outro, respectively. Another production technique employed on the album is the use of very abrupt endings and segues to a few of the songs, like "Green Man", "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" and "Haunted". "Cinnamon Girl" is a much heavier cover of Neil Young's song of the same name.
The lyrics on this album are mainly about love and death, as in "Love You to Death".
- "Bad Ground" – 0:38
- "Intro" – 0:21
- "Love You to Death" – 7:08
- "Be My Druidess" – 5:25
- "Green Man" – 5:48
- "Red Water (Christmas Mourning)" – 6:48
- "My Girlfriend's Girlfriend" – 3:46
- "Die with Me" – 7:12
- "Burnt Flowers Fallen" – 6:09
- "In Praise of Bacchus" (alt. titled "She Hates Me") (feat. Val Ium of Pist.On) – 7:36
- "Cinnamon Girl" (Neil Young cover) – 4:00
- "The Glorious Liberation of the People's Technocratic Republic of Vinnland by the Combined Forces of the United Territories of Europa" – 1:07
- "Wolf Moon (Including Zoanthropic Paranoia)" – 6:37
- "Haunted" – 10:07
- "Outro" – 0:09
- This is one of just three albums where the cover shows a color other than green, white, or black; the others are Bloody Kisses and World Coming Down.
- This is the most keyboard-laden album of TON career.
- The musical elements in this album influenced another gothic doom metal band October Noir.
- The album title 'October Rust' would later be mentioned in the lyric of "September Sun" of Dead Again.
- It is tied with Life Is Killing Me for most tracks of any TON album.
- This is one of two TON albums to not have any songs split into cantos; the other is Life Is Killing Me.
- The album has the most singles released at four and the most music videos at seven (three official and four fan-made).
- This is the only Type O Negative album starting with Bloody Kisses that doesn't have the title track.
- Anime Reviewer of Heavy Metal Otaku (9/10) – "The instrumentation is superb, the vocals are top-notch and instantly recognizable, and the atmosphere that was created is just remarkable."
- Ken Pierce of Sea of Tranquility (4.5/5) – "The most musical and atmospheric of their catalog."
- BigHans of Sputnikmusic (5/5) – "A haunting, melodic, somber, gorgeous opus from a group that severely overachieved on this album."
- An unknown user of Sputnikmusic (5/5) – "The whole album itself has a very autumn feel to it and it makes you feel as if you were taking a trip through the woods and watching the leaves fall down."
- Peter Steele – lead vocals, bass
- Kenny Hickey – guitar, acoustic guitar on "Die with Me" and "Wolf Moon", additional vocals
- Josh Silver – keyboards, piano, synth, backing vocals
- Johnny Kelly – live drums, backing vocals
- Peter Steele – writing, production
- Mike Marciano – engineering, mixing
- Josh Silver – effects, drum programming, production
- George Marino – mastering
- Peter Steele – concept art, design
- Laura Michaels – executive design
- Joseph Cultice – photography
- Tim Fitzharris – forest photography
Links to other albums Edit
|Type O Negative albums|
|Studio albums||Slow, Deep and Hard • The Origin of the Feces • Bloody Kisses • October Rust • World Coming Down • Life Is Killing Me • Dead Again|
|Compilation albums||The Least Worst Of • The Best of Type O Negative • None More Negative • The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1991-2003 • Blood Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 1) • Harvest Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 2)|
|Live albums||Steel O Dick • Bizarre Types • Live Again|
|Video albums||For When It Rains • After Dark • Symphony for the Devil|
|Split albums||Live, Rare and Hard • Iced Earth - Type O Negative - Engel|
|Cancelled album||Double Crossed|