Slow, Deep and Hard is the debut album by Type O Negative, released on June 14, 1991.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The album, originally titled None More Negative (title later used by a multi-record compilation released in 2011), has a rawness that was prominent in Peter Steele's previous band, Carnivore, but it incorporates elements that became standard for Type O Negative, merging styles including doom metal, gothic metal, new wave, and industrial music. Slow, Deep and Hard is a semi-autobiographical album with heavy amounts of black humor, based on a relationship in which Peter Steele was involved in. The lyrics on this album are mainly about broken romance and a cheating lover, along with anger, hatred, depression, agony, and killing, and can be considered a concept album. In keeping with the band's notable humor, the cover of Slow, Deep and Hard is a blurry picture of a penis penetrating a vagina. Despite the cover being embarrassing to many people, it is Roadrunner's 8th greatest album cover according to RoadrunnerRecords.com.
Roadrunner Records released a remastered version of Slow, Deep and Hard on March 24, 2009.
Tracklist[edit | edit source]
- "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity" – 12:35
- I: Anorganic Transmutogenesis (Synthetic Division) (0:00–2:58)
- II: Coitus Interruptus (2:58–5:23)
- III: I Know You're Fucking Someone Else (5:23–12:35)
- "Der Untermensch" – 8:54
- I: Socioparasite (0:00–2:47)
- II: Waste of Life (2:47–8:54)
- "Xero Tolerance" – 7:44
- I: Type "A" Personality Disorder (0:00–1:56)
- II: Kill You Tonight (1:56–6:55)
- III: Love You to Death (6:55–7:44)
- "Prelude to Agony" – 12:13
- I: The Truth (0:00–2:06)
- II: God Love Fire Woman Death (2:06–6:16)
- III: Jackhammerape (6:16–8:22)
- IV: Pain (Is Irrelevant) (8:22–12:13)
- "Glass Walls of Limbo" (Dance mix) – 6:39
- "The Misinterpretation of Silence and its Disastrous Consequences" – 1:04
- "Gravitational Constant: G = 6.67 × 10−8 cm−3 gm−1 sec−2" – 9:14
- I: Unjustifiable Existence (0:00–2:18)
- II: Acceleration (Due to Gravity) (2:18–4:54)
- III: Antimatter: Electromechanical Psychedelicosis (4:54–6:00)
- IV: Requiem for a Soulless Man (6:00–9:14)
- 2009 remastered version bonus track
- "Hey Pete" (Pete's Ego Trip version) – 5:19
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the only album where 'Type O Negative' is imprinted on the top left corner and the album title on the bottom right. All the other albums except The Origin of the Feces have the band title wrapped on the top right corner and the album title wrapped on the bottom left.
- It is tied with The Origin of the Feces for the fewest track of any TON album.
- This is the only non-re-recorded studio album that lasts less than 60 minutes.
- It has the longest average song duration of any TON album, at 8:20.
Reviews[edit | edit source]
- Christoph of metal.de (9/10) – "Musically as well as content far away from all other Type O Negative releases, the lazy and also completely uninhibited Slow, Deep and Hard acts more like an unofficial third Carnivore album."
- UMUR of Metal Music Archive (4.5/5) – "The sound production is rather unconventional with the distorted bass being pretty dominant, while the guitar often functions more as backing to the bass than the other way around. The sound is quite cold and fits well with the atmosphere of the music and the lyrical themes."
- Rock and Metal in My Blood (9/10) – "The first Type O Negative masterpiece, destined to little to revolutionize its own sound by increasingly pushing on lenses and catacombs."
- John Chedsey of Satan Stole My Teddy Bear – "This album straddled the fence between the lush, more gothic overtones of 1993's Bloody Kisses and Steele's earlier days in Carnivore."
- CaptainAaarrrggghhh of Sputnikmusic (3.5/5) – "It’s darker, dirtier, and more immature than any Type O further work."
Personnel[edit | edit source]
- Peter Steele – lead vocals, bass, choirs on "Glass Walls of Limbo"
- Kenny Hickey – guitar, acoustic guitar on "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity" and "Xero Tolerance", additional vocals, choirs on "Glass Walls of Limbo"
- Josh Silver – keyboards, organ on "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity", "Der Untermensch", "Xero Tolerance" and "Prelude to Agony", backing vocals
- Sal Abruscato – drums, percussion on "Der Untermensch", "Prelude to Agony" and "Gravitational Constant", backing vocals
- The Bensonhoist Lesbian Choir – backing vocals, choirs on "Glass Walls of Limbo" and "Gravitational Constant"
- Peter Steele – writing
- Mike Marciano – engineering, mixing
- Josh Silver – samples, effects
- J.S. Bach – samples on "Xero Tolerance"
- Michael Sarsfield – mastering
- Type O Negative – production
- Peter Steele – concept art, design
- Patricia Mooney – executive artwork
- Jeff Kitts – photography
- Jay Sanchez – photography
Links to other albums[edit source]
|Type O Negative albums|
|Studio albums||Slow, Deep and Hard • The Origin of the Feces • Bloody Kisses • October Rust • World Coming Down • Life Is Killing Me • Dead Again|
|Compilation albums||The Least Worst Of • The Best of Type O Negative • None More Negative • The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1991-2003 • Blood Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 1) • Harvest Moon: A Collection of Covers and Rarities (Part 2)|
|Live albums||Steel O Dick • Bizarre Types • Live Again|
|Video albums||For When It Rains • After Dark • Symphony for the Devil|
|Split albums||Live, Rare and Hard • Iced Earth - Type O Negative - Engel|
|Cancelled album||Double Crossed|
|Imaginary album||Christmas Is Dead|