Slow, Deep and Hard is the debut album by Type O Negative, released on June 14, 1991.
The album, originally titled None More Negative, has a rawness that was prominent in Peter Steele's previous band, Carnivore, but it incorporates elements that became standard for Type O Negative, merging styles including doom metal, gothic rock, new wave and industrial music. Slow, Deep and Hard is a semi-autobiographical album with heavy amounts of black humor, based on a relationship in which Peter Steele was involved in. The lyrics on this album are mainly about broken romance and a cheating lover, along with anger, hatred, depression, agony, and killing, and can be considered a concept album. In keeping with the band's notable humor, the cover of Slow, Deep and Hard is a blur picture of a penis penetrating a vagina. Despite the cover is embarrassing to many people, it is the Roadrunner's 8th greatest album cover according to RoadrunnerRecords.com.
Roadrunner Records released a remastered version of Slow, Deep and Hard on March 24, 2009.
- "Unsuccessfully Coping with the Natural Beauty of Infidelity" – 12:37
- I: Anorganic Transmutogenesis (Synthetic Division)
- II: Coitus Interruptus
- III: I Know You're Fucking Someone Else
- "Der Untermensch" – 8:54
- I: Socioparasite
- II: Waste of Life
- "Xero Tolerance" (includes samples from J.S. Bach) – 7:44
- I: Type "A" Personality Disorder
- II: Kill You Tonight
- III: Love You to Death
- "Prelude to Agony" – 12:13
- I: The Truth
- II: God Love Fire Woman Death
- III: Jackhammerape
- IV: Pain (Is Irrelevant)
- "Glass Walls of Limbo" (Dance Mix) – 6:41
- "The Misinterpretation of Silence and its Disastrous Consequences" – 1:04
- "Gravitational Constant: G = 6.67 × 10−8 cm−3 gm−1 sec−2" – 9:14
- I: Unjustifiable Existence
- II: Gravitational Acceleration (Due to Gravity)
- III: Antimatter: Electromechanical Psychedelicosis
- IV: Requiem for a Soulless Man
- Remastered version bonus track
- "Hey Pete" (Pete's Ego Trip version) – 5:18
- Christoph of metal.de (9/10) – "Musically as well as content far away from all other Type O Negative releases, the lazy and also completely uninhibited Slow, Deep and Hard acts more like an unofficial third Carnivore album."
- UMUR of Metal Music Archive (4.5/5) – "The sound production is rather unconventional with the distorted bass being pretty dominant, while the guitar often functions more as backing to the bass than the other way around. The sound is quite cold and fits well with the atmosphere of the music and the lyrical themes."
- Rock and Metal in My Blood (9/10) – "The first Type O Negative masterpiece, destined to little to revolutionize its own sound by increasingly pushing on lenses and catacombs."
- John Chedsey of Satan Stole My Teddy Bear – "This album straddled the fence between the lush, more gothic overtones of 1993's Bloody Kisses and Steele's earlier days in Carnivore."
- CaptainAaarrrggghhh of Sputnikmusic (3.5/5) – "It’s darker, dirtier, and more immature than any Type O further work."
- Band performers
- Peter Steele – lead vocals, bass guitar
- Kenny Hickey – guitar, additional vocals
- Josh Silver – keyboards, organ, samples, effects, backing vocals
- Sal Abruscato – drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Additional performers
- The Bensonhoist Lesbian Choir – backing vocals
- Cover artwork
- Art concepted and designed by Peter Steele
- Art executed by Patricia Mooney
- Photography by Jeff Kitts
- Photography by Jay Sanchez